Building Up Jax is a weekly article series, posted each Saturday morning, that provides you with the latest updates on development and construction in the greater Jacksonville area.
Perkins&Will proposal wins Riverfront Plaza design competition
The city has chosen a winner for its Riverfront Plaza Design Competition.
Perkins&Will’s proposed design, referred to as One Park Jax, was selected over proposals from Agency Landscape + Planning and OLIN. The design includes a 1.5-acre central lawn, an amphitheater, kids’ play area, a hotel and sky garden with outdoor dining, pedestrian connection to Main Street Bridge, and a park pavilion. It’s highlighted by a massive metallic sculpture, designed by artist Jefre, that spells out “Jax” with a heart in place of the A.
The project is estimated at $24.9 million, including up to $12 million for the sculpture element. Construction on the park is expected to begin in “about one year.”
Morocco Town Center seeks approval
An ordinance allowing for mixed-use redevelopment of Morocco Shrine Center is expected to be introduced at next week’s city council meeting.
Morocco Shrine Association is seeking zoning changes to allow for the complete redevelopment of its 36 acres of property, located near UNF and St. Johns Town Center. Submitted plans depict an ambitious reimagining of the property that would include luxury apartments, senior living units, an arts and recreation plaza, multiple commercial buildings, and a hotel.
The project, referred to as Morocco Town Center, is led by Morocco Acquisition LLC.
- Waterwalk Hotel submitted plans for a new 19,890-square-foot hotel building at 8895 Perimeter Park Blvd.
- Idea Public Schools submitted plans for the construction of a multi-phase, 109,000-square-foot facility at 2354 University Blvd. N.
- Dollar General received a permit for construction at 9075 Pritchard Rd.
- Banter by Piercing Pagoda received a permit for build-out at 10281 Midtown Pkwy. within St. Johns Town Center.
- The Jacksonville Icemen received a permit to begin work on its practice complex within Jacksonville Ice and Sportsplex at 3605 Philips Hwy.
- Waste Management received a permit for the construction of a new CNG facility at 6676 Greenland Industrial Blvd.
- Switzerland Animal Hospital submitted plans for a new, larger facility at 1430 SR-3 N., adjacent to its existing building.