Building Up Jax is a weekly article series, posted each Saturday morning, that provides you with the latest updates on development and construction in the greater Jacksonville area.
Ability Housing to redevelop Lake Forest school
Nonprofit affordable housing developer Ability Housing is set to redevelop a vacant school in the Lake Forest neighborhood into an apartment community.
Ability announced this week that it plans to convert Lake Forest Elementary School, which closed in 2019, into Village of Lake Forest, a garden-style apartment complex with up to 180 units. Of those units, 25% will be reserved for Duval County Public Schools personnel, while 80% will be designated as affordable housing.
The project, which is currently seeking final zoning approval from city council, is located at 901 Kennard St.
- Prospect Real Estate Group submitted plans for Advantis Gardens, a five-building, 200-bed residential complex at Airport Center Dr. and Starratt Rd.
- Five Smooth Stones submitted plans for a new 17,000-square-foot building at Hood and Shad Rd.
- Coastal Medical Plaza received a permit for build-out at 8100 Point Meadows Dr.
- Wawa received a permit related to the construction of its new gas station and convenience store at 8742 Baymeadows Rd.
- Wingstop received a permit for build-out at 5753 Beach Blvd.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts received a permit for the construction of a 7,225-square-foot retail building at 1335 St. Johns Pkwy. in St. Johns.
- Let’s Be Friends Academy received a permit to construct a $2.5 million daycare facility at 725 New Berlin Rd.