The Sharks continue to flesh out their 2020 roster with several new additions, while also bringing back two key members of last year’s championship team.
The team has re-signed WR Chris Gilchrist and QB Mike Fafaul. Gilchrist was the MVP of the 2019 title game, scoring two touchdowns while playing as both a receiver and linebacker; he returns for his third season with the Sharks. Fafaul was the team’s quarterback for much of last season’s championship run including the title game; he returns for season two with the team.
The team also announced several other new signings, many of whom will play in the NAL for the first time:
- Offensive lineman Taylor Warner joins the team after stints in the Indoor Football League (IFL) and Gridiron Developmental Football League. Coincidentally, Warner played high school football in Jacksonville, AL.
- Receiver Caleb Holmes joins the Sharks after time in the AFL, IFL, and Supreme Indoor Football (SIF).
- Defensive back Dallas Jackson returns to the team after spending 2019 with the Predators. Jackson, who played at Jacksonville University in college, was a key member of the 2018 Sharks defense.
- All-IFL receiver and Jacksonville native Marquel Wade, re-joins the Sharks after playing with the team briefly in 2017. Wade played football and basketball at Andrew Jackson High School.
- Offensive lineman Marley Conley signs with the team after time in the American Arena League.
- Defensive back Joe Blount joins the Sharks after stints in the IFL and SIF.
- Receiver and kick returner Prince Shonola comes to the Sharks after spending his rookie year with the Carolina Cobras.
Here’s how the Sharks’ depth chart is looking thus far:
QB – Mike Fafaul
FB – Alstevis Squirewell / Zack Brown / Jaleel Brown
WR – Chris Gilchrist / Marquel Wade / Kamrin Solomon / Caleb Holmes / Prince Shonola
OL – Derrick Zeigler / Mike Williams / Jaleel Brown / Justin Cook / Taylor Warner / Marley Conley
DL – Aaron Bellazin / Jonathan Taylor
DB – Tony Goodman / Zack Brown / Fred Williams / Joe Blount / Dallas Jackson
Special teams – Tony Goodman (kick returner) / Prince Shonola (kick returner)