As the Sharks inch closer to the NAL’s opening night, the team has made moves to solidify its coaching staff as well as its local media coverage.
Head coach James Fuller has filled out his staff for the 2020 season with several familiar faces. Lee Johnson, last year’s assistant head coach and line coach, stays on as the assistant head coach and becomes defensive coordinator as well – replacing Fuller who was promoted to head coach. Last year’s special teams coordinator, Charlie Hunt, will continue in that role as well as picking up wide receiver coaching responsibilities. And Mike Owens was promoted to director of football operations for his eighth season with the Sharks.
The one outside hire on the staff, new offensive coordinator Shane Stafford, joins the team after spending last season as the OC for the Atlantic City Blackjacks.
The team also announced details on radio and television coverage of its games. 1010XL Sports Radio will provide radio coverage for the Sharks throughout the season, including a weekly discussion with Coach Fuller each Tuesday at 9:00 AM. And local TV station CW17 will broadcast the team’s home games at 1:00 PM on the Sunday following each game.
And finally, the team has added yet another receiver to its depth chart, signing three-time ArenaBowl champion Darius Reynolds. He joins the Sharks after playing the past few seasons with the AFL’s Philadelphia Soul; he joins four other former Soul players on the 2020 roster.
Here’s how the roster looks right now, with just over a month remaining before kickoff.
- QB – Mike Fafaul
- FB – Alstevis Squirewell / Zack Brown / Jaleel Brown / Javan Christian
- WR – Devin Wilson / Chris Gilchrist / Marquel Wade / Kamrin Solomon / Caleb Holmes / Jordan Williams / Darius Reynolds / Prince Shonola
- OL – Derrick Zeigler / Mike Williams / Jaleel Brown / Justin Cook / Taylor Warner / Marley Conley / Javan Christian / Isaiah Hardy / Jabari Buckley
- DL – Aaron Bellazin / Jonathan Taylor / Keith Bowers / Damien Jacobs / Seyvon Lowry / LaMichael Fanning / Justin Marcus / Kevin Thompson
- DB – Tony Goodman / Zack Brown / Fred Williams / Joe Blount / Dallas Jackson / Quron Hall / Keith Lewis / Jamaal Burgess / Ken Walton II / Mike Knight / Joel Ross / Keiron Jones / Kyle Chandler
- Special teams – Tony Goodman / Prince Shonola / Keiron Jones
The Sharks will be holding open tryouts to fill out the rest of their roster on March 7 at 8:30 AM on the campus of Episcopal School of Jacksonville; you can sign up at https://jaxsharks.com/team/open-tryouts.