This week in Building Up Jax, we discuss the listing of the Florida Times-Union building in Brooklyn, among several other notes.
T-U selling office building
The Florida Times-Union announced this past week that it will be selling its office building at 1 Riverside Ave. in the Brooklyn area.
The newspaper has shifted its focus in recent years to pursuits such as online publication and digital media consulting. This has rendered its current location a bit obsolete.
The area surrounding the building has developed rapidly in recent years. New developments The Brooklyn at Riverside and 220 Riverside are located nearby, along with the Brooklyn Station shopping center.
There’s no word yet on where the Times-Union will move following the building’s sale.
A few other notes
- The Arby’s location at 10160 Philips Highway near The Avenues will undergo a $175,000 renovation.
- Seafarers International Union of North America at 5100 Belfort Rd. will construct a lighthouse memorial for the El Faro crew, according to Jax Daily Record.
- HomeGoods will take over space formerly occupied by Office Depot in the Atlantic West shopping center at Atlantic and Kernan Blvds, also via JDR.
- Epic Theatres opened recently at Oakleaf Station in Orange Park according to Jacksonville Business Journal. The project had been announced in late 2014, but underwent delays in construction and was downsized to 12 screens from its original goal of 14.
- Whit’s Frozen Custard will add a fourth location at 3545 St. Johns Ave. later this year, via Jacksonville Business Journal.
As always, if you have any questions about development in Jacksonville, contact us at email@example.com or on Twitter using hashtag #bujax. We’ll get it answered!