LAST UPDATED: November 27, 2019
Sometimes seeing the current state of downtown Jacksonville can cause frustration for residents hoping for more activity.
It can be easy to lose perspective on exactly how much money is being poured into creating a more lively, modern downtown area over the next decade.
There are well over a billion dollars worth of active and proposed development projects going on within downtown Jacksonville. Some projects, of course, are further along than others – and some, like Shad Khan’s grand plans for the Shipyards property, still feel like a distant reality at best. But many are already under construction and will be ready as soon as the end of the year.
To help keep track of everything that’s going on downtown, we’ve compiled a list of all the active and proposed development projects that we could gather from our records – divided up by district. We’ll keep updating the list as we locate more projects in our records, or in city records, as well as adding new projects as they’re announced.
If you want to be in-the-know about what’s coming to downtown Jax, make sure you save this article!
- Ambassador Hotel + The Annex (310 W. Church St.)
- Augustine Development Group is converting the historic Ambassador Hotel building into a 127-room LaQuinta Inn and will also add a 200-unit apartment building with 15,000 sq. ft. of retail
- The Barnett Tower (112 W. Adams St.)
- Renovations to the Barnett Bank building, adding 100 residential units, a satellite campus for UNF, and Vagabond Coffee and Chase Bank as ground-floor retail tenants
- VyStar Credit Union campus expansion (76 S. Laura
St. + 100 W. Bay St.)
- VyStar recently moved into the 23-story tower at 76 S. Laura St. and is converting the adjacent building at 100 W. Bay St. into more office space; they also plan to invest $15 million into public art and adding retail
- Florida Theatre renovations
- The historic theatre plans to undergo $10 million in renovations in time for its 100th anniversary
- Hyatt Place (Independent Dr. / Hogan St.)
- A planned 128-room hotel near VyStar’s new campus
- Independent Life building redevelopment (233 W. Duval St.)
- Augustine Development Group plans to turn the old Independent Life/JEA building into apartments, a grocery store, a restaurant, and a rooftop bar
- JEA Headquarters (325 W. Adams St.)
- A new HQ building for JEA is proposed near the Courthouse – but will JEA manage to fund it with their “dire” economic situation?
- Jones Bros. Furniture Building redevelopment (520 N. Hogan St.)
- The historic Jones Brothers and Western Union buildings would be converted to provide 28 apartment units and over 10,000 sq. ft. of retail space
- Laura Street Trio redevelopment
- SouthEast Group plans to convert the trio of historic buildings into a Courtyard Marriott hotel and a high-end restaurant complete with rooftop bar, as well as adding a new parking garage