Building Up Jax is a weekly article series, posted each Saturday morning, that provides you with the latest updates on development and construction in the greater Jacksonville area.
STRAYER UNIVERSITY COMING TO 220 RIVERSIDE
Strayer University appears to be readying a satellite campus within 220 Riverside.
The university, along with the building’s owner Mid-America Apartment Communities, is seeking approval from the DDRB for new signage to advertise its presence within the residential building, which sits alongside Unity Plaza in Brooklyn. The application indicates that Strayer would take over the unit formerly occupied by HOBNOB. Additional signage for future tenants would also be added.
Strayer, a private, for-profit college that specializes in online learning, is based in Washington, D.C., with over 60 satellite campuses throughout the country for in-person learning. The school would join Anejo Cocina Mexicana among the ground-floor tenants at 220 Riverside.
RELATED GROUP SUBMITS PLANS FOR RIVERFRONT RESTAURANT
Related Group is seeking DDRB approval for the construction of a 3,500-square-foot restaurant building between its planned multifamily apartment complex between the River City Brewing Co. site and Friendship Fountain. Plans show a single-story restaurant building with 914 square feet of interior dining space as well as an upper and lower outdoor dining terrace.
The company is also seeking final approval for its proposed apartment complex, which is expected to be granted.
PARK VIEW INN PROPERTY SET FOR REDEVELOPMENT
A long-blighted property at the edge of downtown and Springfield may finally see redevelopment soon.
Initial plans were submitted for the construction of a five-story, 56,000-square-foot apartment building at 901 N. Main St. The property was previously home to Park View Inn but has since become a hotspot for vagrants and trespassers. The majority of the existing structure was demolished in the early 2010s; the remainder of the structure would be removed to accommodate construction.
NAI Hallmark is the property owner.
- Plans were submitted for a Starbucks restaurant building at International Golf Pkwy. and Commerce Plaza Blvd. The building will be located within the GreenWise Market-anchored Parkway Village at St. Johns near World Golf Village.
- My Eye Lab received a permit for build-out at 11467 San Jose Blvd.
- Checkers submitted plans for a new restaurant building with dual drive-thru lanes at Moncrief Rd. W. and Hull St.
- Plans were submitted for The Hub, a multi-building, mixed-use complex to be built at Forest St. and Riverside Ave. The plans show a two-story office building, a two-story coffee shop and bar building, and a one-story bar, combining for over 5,600 square feet of space.
- Sushila’s Beauty Care and Sassy Spa Nail and Lash are both under review for build-out within The Fountains at St. Johns.
- Mavis Tire Supply received a permit for the construction of a new tire store building at 910 Dunn Ave.
- Pulte Homes submitted plans for Winding Oaks, a new 279-lot single-family residential community along SR-207 near I-95 in St. Johns.
- Blue Sky Dental received a permit for build-out at 14866 Old St. Augustine Rd.