Building Up Jax is a weekly article series, posted each Saturday morning, that provides you with the latest updates on development and construction in the greater Jacksonville area.
VYSTAR SUBMITS DOWNTOWN GARAGE PLANS WITH NEW DESIGN, ADDED RETAIL
VyStar Credit Union submitted plans for its new downtown parking garage.
The plans show a seven-story, 782-car parking garage at 28 W. Forsyth St. with over 13,000 sq. ft. of ground-level retail space, and with a modern façade that at least partially obscures the actual parking structure. The retail space would be divided into two sections on opposite sides of the structure – one 7,400 sq. ft. space at Laura and Forsyth streets, and one 5,700 sq. ft. unit along Main Street.
The new plans from VyStar are an upgrade over what was originally proposed by SouthEast Group as part of the Laura Street Trio project; VyStar, having taken control of the garage project from SouthEast, revised the exterior to look less like a parking garage and added the retail space along Main Street.
Because the garage’s development will obscure a wall sign on its building, Regions Bank is seeking to add signs to the corner and roof of its building once the garage is built.
Both proposals are set to be reviewed by the Downtown Development Review Board next week.
SPRINGS AT FLAGLER CENTER RECEIVES PERMITS
250 new apartment units are coming to the ever-growing Flagler Center area.
Continental 495 Fund received a series of permits for the construction of Springs at Flagler Center, a 9-building, 250-unit apartment complex at 12585 Flagler Center Blvd., near Old St. Augustine Rd. and Philips Hwy.
- Baptist Health received a permit for construction of a new 7-story, $145 million “arrival tower” for both Baptist and Wolfson Children’s Hospital at 800 Prudential Dr.
- River City Kitchen and Bath received a permit for build-out within Julington Marketplace at 4125 Race Track Rd. in northern St. Johns County.
- Whole Foods Market will open on October 7 within Pablo Plaza in Jax Beach.
- Reddi-Arts received a permit for renovations to its future location at 1731 N. Main St. in Springfield.
- Forever Vets received a permit for build-out at Durbin Station, an office condo development at 105 Durbin Station Ct. in northern St. Johns County.
- A permit was issued for the demolition of a former bank building at 50 W. State St.
- Scrubbles Express Wash submitted plans for a new car-wash facility at 11991 Atlantic Blvd.
- Dominos received a permit for build-out within an existing Walmart location at 12100 Lem Turner Rd.
- Darifair Foods received a permit for construction of a new 43,000 sq. ft., $13 million facility at 13129 Flagler Center Blvd.