Building Up Jax is a weekly article series, posted each Saturday morning, that provides you with the latest updates on development and construction in the greater Jacksonville area.
SUGAR FACTORY TO JOIN MARKETS AT TOWN CENTER
Sugar Factory American Brasserie, the designer sweets restaurant popular with Instagram celebrities, is coming to Jacksonville.
The Shopping Center Group revealed earlier this week that Sugar Factory has agreed to lease the former Brio Italian Grille building within The Markets at Town Center.
The Las Vegas-based chain is known for its designer lollipops and other trendy confectionary menu items. It has three existing locations in Florida; this would be the first location north of Orlando.
The chain has not yet announced an opening date for its new location.
ORANGE PARK MALL ADDING AMPHITHEATER
Orange Park Mall may soon have a new, non-retail offering: an amphitheater.
The mall submitted plans for a new amphitheater and grass play area to be constructed on unused land along Orange Park Northway near Wells Rd. It would be located next to the parking lot for JCPenney.
The mall is anchored by Penney, Dillard’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Belk, and AMC Theatres.
APARTMENTS, RETAIL PLANNED ALONG RACE TRACK RD.
Racetrack Group LLC submitted plans to develop a 268-unit apartment complex at the Duval-St. Johns county line.
The project will be located along Race Track Rd. near Philips Hwy., next to the existing Reserve Bartram Springs complex. Racetrack Group LLC is connected to Fogelman Management Group, which acquired Reserve in 2018.
And just down the street, Bartram Springs Center LLC submitted plans to build two multi-tenant retail buildings, each with 16,000 square feet of available space, along Race Track Rd. near Bartram Springs Pkwy. The buildings will complement the existing Promenade at Bartram Springs retail center.
- Island Wing Company has received several permits for the construction of its new restaurant building within Bartram Market in St. Johns.
- Plans were submitted for a five-building, 102,650-square-foot commercial development at 10587 U.S. 1 N. in St. Johns. Ash Properties is the developer through Pope Place LLC.
- Great Clips received a permit for build-out at 855 CR-210 W. within Shoppes at Beachwalk in St. Johns.
- Shores Fine Wine & Spirits received a permit for the construction of a new 7,400-square-foot building within The Shoppes of St. Johns Parkway.
- A permit was issued for the demolition of an existing liquor store building at 647 N. Myrtle Ave.
- Bono’s BBQ received a permit for the construction of a new, $1 million restaurant building at 10065 Skinner Lake Dr. to replace its old location at the same site, which burned to the ground last year.
- Tractor Supply Co. submitted plans for a new 22,433-square-foot retail building at 8984 Normandy Blvd.
- Whataburger received a permit for the construction of a new $1 million restaurant building at 11559 Atlantic Blvd. within Atlantic North.
- A permit was issued for the construction of a new $7 million speculative warehouse building at 3750 W. Cisco Dr