The Sharks have added more depth – particularly on the defensive end – ahead of their season opener in April as they prepare to defend their 2019 title.
The team traded with the Carolina Cobras to acquire defensive back Joel Ross for “future player considerations.” Ross is entering his first arena football season, having previously played in the Canadian Football League after a brief NFL stint.
The Sharks also made twelve free-agent signings in the past two months. Perhaps the biggest of those signings was the retention of WR Devin Wilson, who was the team’s most productive receiver – and arguably its best player – during last season’s title run.
Here’s a rundown of everyone else they added:
- Defensive lineman Seyvon Lowry – Jax native who attended First Coast High School; spent last season in Indoor Football League
- DL LaMichael Fanning – played with Columbus Lions last year
- DL Justin Marcus – played with Predators last year, led them in sacks (6.5)
- DB Quron Hall – Jax native who attended Raines High School; entering first arena season
- FB / OL Javan Christian – Grew up in Jax and attended Oakleaf High School; played in IFL last year
- DB Keith Lewis – Entering seventh season of professional football, played in NFL briefly prior to arena career
- OL Isaiah Hardy – Rookie from West Virginia; previously tried out for XFL
- DL Kevin Thompson – Played in IFL last year, was on championship-winning team
- OL Jabari Buckley – Returning for his second season with the Sharks
- DB Jamaal Burgess – Played in AFL last year; played in ArenaBowl
- DB Ken Walton II – Returning to Jax after spending last year with Carolina
- DB Mike Knight – Played in AFL last year; played in ArenaBowl
- WR Jordan Williams – Played in AFL last year; played in ArenaBowl
After those acquisitions, here’s how the roster stands as of today:
QB – Mike Fafaul
FB – Alstevis Squirewell / Zack Brown / Jaleel Brown / Javan Christian
WR – Devin Wilson / Chris Gilchrist / Marquel Wade / Kamrin Solomon / Caleb Holmes / Prince Shonola / Jordan Williams
OL – Derrick Zeigler / Mike Williams / Jaleel Brown / Justin Cook / Taylor Warner / Marley Conley / Javan Christian / Isaiah Hardy / Jabari Buckley
DL – Aaron Bellazin / Jonathan Taylor / Seyvon Lowry / LaMichael Fanning / Justin Marcus / Kevin Thompson
DB – Tony Goodman / Zack Brown / Fred Williams / Joe Blount / Dallas Jackson / Quron Hall / Keith Lewis / Jamaal Burgess / Ken Walton II / Mike Knight / Joel Ross
Special teams – Tony Goodman / Prince Shonola
As the team moves toward its season opener, it will need to add depth at quarterback as well as a kicker.
The Sharks will kick off the 2020 season in West Virginia on April 4. Their home opener against the Massachusetts Pirates will take place on April 25.