In this week’s Building Up Jax, gas station/convenience store chain Wawa’s plans for North Florida expansion become a bit clearer. Additionally, a second stretch of I-95 express lanes comes closer to beginning construction, plus several other notes.
After a few months of speculation, gas station and convenience store chain Wawa has firmed up its plans to enter the Jacksonville market.
According to multiple sources, Wawa has secured approval for the first of five initial locations under contract in the area. This location will be located across the street from FSCJ’s Beach Blvd campus, at the intersection of Beach and Central Parkway.
Additionally, plans for a location at the St. Johns Town Center were submitted late this past week. Specifically, the proposed Wawa would join PGP’s The Strand development and would be located on the corner of Gate and Town Center Parkways.
Details for the other three initial locations have yet to be released.
Express Lane Construction
The second of two North Florida Express Lane projects on I-295 is set to begin in a few weeks, according to Jacksonville Business Journal.
Construction on the express lane from I-95 to Buckman Bridge has already begun. Now, the stretch between 9-B and Butler Blvd. is slated to be constructed as well. The project involves lane widening and constructing toll stations.
Tolls will be charged based on demand. In other words, the rates will be dictated by how much traffic is currently present in the express lane, with lower traffic meaning a lower rate.
Shoppes of Baymeadows sold
Also via Jacksonville Business Journal: The Shoppes of Baymeadows shopping center sold for $4.25 million to Jacksonville-based Safari Properties No. 11 Inc.
The center, located at the corner of Baymeadows and Old Kings Rd., had recently undergone minor facelifts in the form of new coats of paint and new street-front signage.
It is anchored by Los Loros Mexican Restaurant, and features Papa Johns and H&R Block along with several local tenants.
A few notes
- Dave ‘N’ Busters on Salisbury Rd. will undergo a $856,000 renovation.
- Wendy’s at Losco Rd. will get a $299,000 facelift.
- According to Jax Daily Record, Newk’s Eatery will round out the tenants of the new Galleria Marketplace at Bonneval Rd. It will join Smoothie King, Kazu Sushi Burrito, and Chicken Salad Chick.
- Also via JDR: Wendy’s will be the first tenant at the Shops of Philips project on the corner of Emerson and Philips.
- Jacksonville is getting yet another brewery. Southern Swells Brewing Company will open this fall at 1312 Beach Blvd., according to Jacksonville Business Journal.
As always, if you have questions about any development going on in the Jacksonville area, email us at email@example.com or contact us on Twitter using the hashtag #bujax. We’ll get it answered for you!